Why Have a Golf Theme?
Avid golfers often plan their vow renewal around a golf theme, including planning a destination vow renewal to a major golf course and giving golf party favors to their guests. Whether you’re planning your event to take place out on the greens, at a country club, or on a beach in the sun and sand, you should plan a relaxed and fun day. Having a golf theme vow renewal can be a great way to celebrate your second passion (after your spouse)! Whether you want your reception to be the utmost in elegance or humorous and whimsical, here is a collection of ideas to get you started planning your golf themed vow renewal:
Where you hold your golf theme vow renewal should be your first decision. Perhaps you have a favorite course that can accommodate your celebration? If not, here are some additional ideas for venues:
- A country club with golf course
- A resort with a wonderful golf course
- A mini-golf course
- A garden or park with a view of a golf course
- Your backyard if you happen to live on the edge of a golf course
Think outside the typical green and white! Think about using any of the colors you see around the course when you’re playing – including fun golf attire. Bright greens, reds, preppy pink and green, tartans, argyles and yellows will make for a fun and festive setting. For maximum impact and elegance, try to coordinate your colors to your setting.
Your invitations (or save-the-dates) are your first opportunity to share your golf theme with everyone. Now’s the time to set the tone of the event with your design. There are countless ways to incorporate a golf theme into your invitation designs:
- Select or design a motif you can use everywhere in your decorations – think Argyle, grass, calls, golf T’s, etc.
- Use a photos of yourselves on the course as the background image
- Use the concept of a score card in your design
- Keep it simple with a green and white color scheme
- Create a background pattern of golf tees
Since summer to fall is the ideal time to have a golf-themed vow renewal, you can opt for light and airy summer dresses for the ladies. In fact, a tea length dress or shorter casual dresses would be lovely. If the wife is planning on wearing white, attendants would be striking in sunny yellows and bright greens. Want to have a little fun with your look? Trade out your pearls for golf tee or golf ball earrings!
As for the “groom” and any male attendants, opt for sports coats and golf-themed ties. It’s also nice to have the “groom” wear a bright yellow tie, and any attendants wear bright green ties. Have aspiring Master’s Tournament winners? Go with gold jackets for a little fun! You can also go for plaid pants, bright colors, or pastels for the gentlemen to add a little personality and pizzazz to your celebration. Even if you opt for a more traditional look, a pair of fun golf socks is an excellent accessory.
Ceremony and Reception Decorations
The ceremony and reception decor is where you can really tie in the golf theme and let your imagination play. Here are some ideas to get you started:
Centerpieces and table decor
- Make centerpieces from trays of wheatgrass
- Place vintage golf clubs around the room or on tables
- Use range ball buckets as containers to hold plants or flowers
- Fill vases with golf tees, balls, greenery, sand, and branches sticking out
- Select tablecloths and toppers in traditional golf plaids and solid colors
- Make centerpieces with flags for each hole – best for 18 or 19 tables
- Opt for a golf theme cake topper
- Enhance a more traditional tiered cake with white chocolate golf balls
- Have a cake created that looks like a green, fairway, golf bag, or golf cart
- Make an aisle runner from indoor/outdoor grass style carpeting
- Use range ball buckets as containers to hold ceremony programs
- Arrive to the ceremony in a decorated golf cart
- Decorate the aisle with balls of white flowers hung with green ribbon
While favors aren’t necessary for a vow renewal, they are a lovely way to thank guests for attending your celebration. Here are a few popular golf theme favors:
- Golf ball or bag cookies
- Chocolate golf balls or cake pops
- Golf ball bottle opener
- Personalized golf tees
What’s a celebration without plenty of pictures to show friends and remember it by years later? If you have selected a golf course or outdoor venue, be sure to add these photos to your photographer’s list of standard photos:
- Photos on the fairway and greens in the golf cart or pretending to play golf
- Capture your reflections in the water hazard as you embrace or kiss
- Catch a photo of you two hugging with the sun setting on the green behind you
The most important thing to remember when planning your golf theme vow renewal is to have fun! Remember, this celebration is about the two of you, so create an event that you both love, and everything will turn out perfectly.
Ready to see how a Golf Theme Vow Renewal might look? Check out our Golf Theme Vow Renewal inspiration board on Pinterest.
Follow the I Do Still! Golf Theme Vow Renewal Inspiration board on Pinterest.
Have more great golf theme ideas? Share them with us in the comments!