When planning your vow renewal, the topic of what kind of cake you want to have at your reception is sure to come up. For many people, the cake is a key element of their reception, particularly if they didn’t have the cake of their dreams at their wedding. When selecting your vow renewal cake, you will want to consider the cost, style, color, flavor(s), type of icing, and overall taste. If you’re planning an extravagant day filled with formal photos and dancing, the cake may be the only thing you have time to eat the entire day, so make sure you love it.
Here are some things to consider as you visit with bakeries and caterers:
- Will you be serving only cake or are you planning on having other desserts? If you’re opting for a classic tiered cake, it’s important to know that they are priced per slice. If you are planning on having a second dessert or dessert table, you may not need to order a full slice per person.
- If you are planning on having additional desserts, be sure to taste cake flavors at the same time as you taste the desserts you are considering. You will want to make sure your selections compliment each other.
- If you are planning a seasonal menu, consider selecting a cake that includes seasonal flavors as well. For a summer vow renewal, lemon cake filled with fresh raspberries or strawberries is delightful. For a fall vow renewal, spice, carrot, or pumpkin cake will compliment your menu nicely. For a winter vow renewal, a rich chocolate cake with peppermint icing, classic gingerbread, or red velvet cake with cream cheese icing are excellent options.
- Not a big fan or cake or feeling the sticker shock of the pricing per slice? Consider including a small cake as a part of an extravagant dessert table rather than as the main dessert. Or opt for something unusual like cheesecake or angel food cake.
- Keep it simple with cupcakes in a variety of flavors. They can be displayed on stacked boxes or round platters in wide tiers to resemble a large cake. A great DIY option!
- Consider a deconstructed or naked cake for a delightful alternative to more classically styled cakes. Both give you great options for flavors and fillings and tend to be priced lower than their more formal alternatives. Naked cakes are also very DIY friendly and are a great option for those not big fans of icing.
- If the cake is included in your catering package, ask if you can talk to the baker about options. Typically, you can customize some elements to suit your individual tastes and style this way. Be sure to discuss your options for cake flavors, type of icing, and decorative elements. Don’t forget to ask to see photos, so you will have a good idea of what to expect. If the options presented do not meet your desires, ask about options for using an outside baker to get exactly what you had in mind.
Ultimately, the most important thing to consider in selecting your vow renewal cake is if you love it. Toss all the old school rules to the side and go for something that delights the two of you as you plan your celebration.