When planning a low budget vow renewal, a few strategic tips can free up money from one line item that can be used on another! The important thing is that you focus on the elements that are really important to you and take advantage of any cost-cutting tips in other areas. At the end of the day, this will net you a wonderful experience and a bank balance that you are happy with.
- Join your local Freecycle.org group and regularly check to see if anyone’s giving away gowns, veils, shoes, decorations, or accessories. You can also post a request for these items. You might be shocked at what people will give away!
- Check Craigslist for gowns, veils, shoes, decorations, or accessories. Many recent brides will post these items for sale shortly after their wedding at major discounts. Just be sure to know what current prices are for the items new and don’t be afraid to make an offer for a lower price. You might just get a great deal.
- Prom and homecoming season provide an excellent opportunity to find the perfect gowns and dresses for yourself and your attendants. Fabulous white and champagne gowns are often staples for both events. Plus, gowns for these events are significantly less expensive than similar ones labeled “Wedding.”
- Watch for annual sales and liquidations for super deals on gowns. Some shops offer dresses as low as $50-100.
- Stay away from the “Wedding” department in department stores, specialty shops, boutiques, or even craft stores when shopping for accessories like earrings, necklaces, hair decorations, hosiery, undergarments, shoes, favors, candy, yard goods, and other staples. You’ll automatically pay more if it’s marked “Wedding.”
- Serve trendy cupcakes that you made yourself or a variety of different flavored dessert cakes instead of an expensive tiered cake.
- Save on your food budget by having a mid-afternoon ceremony and reception and with light appetizers or simple cake and punch. A late evening ceremony can be followed by a cake and champagne reception.
- Use sheets instead of linen table cloths for rectangular tables and save a fortune. Check your local thrift shops for white round tablecloths!